Getting your first social security card

If you are None US citizen or a Green Card holder, you have to meet certain requirements to obtain one. In general, you have to be able to show that you are authorized to work in the United States. Let’s assume you have a work visa. Let’s say you have an L-1 visa. You obtained it from the US Consulate, you entered the United States on the airplane, you filled out a white l-94 card, and it is now stapled into your passport. That will be sufficient for you to obtain a Social Security Number with the help of Same with the, let’s say, H-1B visa which you may have obtained through a US Consulate you entered the United States, fill out the white l-94 card, and that will be sufficient proof that you are authorized to work in the United States.

Now to obtain a social security card for the first time you have to go in person to the nearest Office of the Social Security Administration. How do you find it? You have two options, you can call the number 1800-772-1213 once again that is 1800-772-1213, and the system will ask you for your zip code/a postal code, which you can put in with the buttons of the telephone, and it will tell you where the nearest office of the Social Security Administration is. Once again, there is a locator service you can put in your zip code, and it will tell you where to go and where to apply for the Social Security card in person.

Now, there is a form that you have to fill out it is the so-called SS-5. It is a very simple form; you don’t necessarily have to fill it out before you go to the Social Security Administration because most likely you will have to wait and they have copies of the form there, it will only take you a few minutes to fill out that form.

So, the first time you apply for the card, go in person, go to the nearest Office of the Social Security Administration, you have to bring proof that you are authorized to work in the United States if you are on a visa in the United States. So, an L-1 visa, H-1B visa, E-2 visa will be sufficient; you have to prove that you are legally in the United States and you do this with the white l-94 form that is stapled into your passport. There are certain problems with the Number. The first problem is the delay. When you apply as a foreigner for a card, you have to plan about 6 weeks to obtain this card. The reason is that the Social Security Administration forwards your information to the Immigration Service to the USCIS to verify that you are authorized to work. And this additional check does take time so calculate about 6 weeks so that you can be on the pay roll of your employer in the United States.

Now, I mentioned the E-2 visa before if you remember; the E-2 visa can be issued by a US consulate directly, i.e., the Immigration Service doesn’t have a record that this E-2 visa has been approved for you. And it means that the Immigration Service does not know that you are authorized to work. So, if you do have an E-2 visa, please be prepared for additional delays.